UPDATE: We’re giving away two free tickets to the new SFMOMA so you can explore the museum before it officially reopens to the public. Deadline to enter is Friday, May 6th at 11:59AM. Click here to enter.
After being closed for nearly three years, the wait is finally, almost over! On Saturday, May 14th, SFMOMA will reopen its doors to the public. On Monday we’re getting a sneak peek, so follow us on Instagram for a first look.
In the meantime, here are a few things to get you excited about the #NewSFMOMA:
1. SFMOMA has been closed for nearly three years. The museum shut its doors on June 3, 2013 to begin renovations and expansion.
Too long, if you ask us. But it was worth the wait.
2. For months, SFMOMA insiders have teased us with gorgeous behind-the-scenes shots of the new museum.
Including photos of sculptures being raised into the building, piece by piece via cranes.
3. Designed by renowned architecture firm Snøhetta, the SFMOMA’s new home is a work of art itself.
The shape of the building is inspired by San Francisco’s infamous fog and ripples in the Bay. The project was headed by Craig Dykers and Kjetil Thorsen.
4. The new SFMOMA features an outdoor terrace on the seventh floor. ?
5. Each level of the museum features different colored bathrooms.
6. When SFMOMA reopens on May 14th, it will be the largest museum of its kind in the United States.
SFMOMA will have 170,000 square feet of exhibition and gallery space across seven floors — more than doubling the original 70,000 square foot space. Take that, MoMA.
7. On many levels, the new SFMOMA will be a game changer.
And it’ll up your Insta-game — no filter necessary.